Wednesday 20 May 2020

Crocheted Chameleon

 
This one took forever to finish ... five months to be exact. 

It seems an eternity has passed since I started this Crocheted Chameleon the day after Christmas. Back then, I was spending most of my spare time rock climbing at The Junction with little time for crochet. We went to Cuba for two weeks in February like we usually do. We were home for just two weeks then my husband was off to Cuba yet again ...this time to lead a two-week bike tour. I had planned a trip to Toronto to visit friends for a weekend while he was away, so took a break from this chameleon to make a few dishcloths for gifts. Something less complicated is a welcome relief when working on a project like this. 

My husband returned from his bike tour in Cuba late on March 14, the day before covid-19 self-quarantine rules for travelers returning to Canada from "anywhere" came into effect. My husband planned to work from home. Unaware of the updated travel advisory, I went to work as usual but was sent home and instructed to stay home for two weeks watching for symptoms. We both had to self quarantine to ensure we did not expose anybody else to risk of infection. 

You might think I would have used my 'free' time wisely or at least productively. I did not. I wallowed. I watched Netflix and YouTube videos and generally fretted about the state of the world with covid-19 spreading everywhere. 

I could not believe how quickly our lives and routines were changing. I stopped crocheting while I mentally processed the craziness of covid-19. Never have I experienced anything even remotely like this. I felt stuck in a zombie apocalypse with invisible zombies ...not a fun place to be.

Over time, as I've slowly come to terms with covid-19 and our 'new normal', I picked up my hooks and started crocheting again. What can I do? Life goes on. I can complain or I can crochet. I choose to crochet. 

This Crocheted chameleon is the thirteenth I've completed from Vanessa Mooncie's Crocheted Wild Animals book. He was happy to pose for photos even though it was a little cold outside Mothers' Day weekend. 

I love how this chameleon changes colours. It's basically two chameleons in one that magically transforms by turning inside out through its mouth. Check out the photos below.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
  
  
To make this Crocheted Chameleon, I followed Vanessa Mooncie's pattern as written changing only the suggested yarn. I used two 100 g balls of King Cole Drifter DK for baby yarn - one in Spearmint (greens) and one in Lilac Tints (purples). It was a complicated pattern to make with the inside-out colour changing trick, but totally worth the extra effort. 

I just love how this Crocheted Chameleon turned out ...inside out. 😁

Here's the complete list of animals featured in the Crocheted Wild Animals book with the thirteen I've done so far listed below. 

Done:
  1. Owl
  2. Rabbit
  3. Frog
  4. Polar Bear
  5. Lion
  6. Fox
  7. Elephant
  8. Camel
  9. Flamingo
  10. Snake
  11. Monkey
  12. Fawn (aka Deer)
  13. Chameleon
Not Done Yet:
  • Giraffe

Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing. Great work, Beth.

    I agree, the whole COVID-19 episode has been a roller coaster. You have turned it into a very productive one, and I am sure in your professional life you're extremely busy. (My kids are glad someone else is doing their laundry... thank you hospital linen services!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and you're welcome from LHLS frontline workers. We are busy working shorter hours to compensate for lower volumes. Hospitals have cut back on everything to focus on covid. Our company has signed up for a work share program to avoid layoffs. Hopefully things will ramp back up to normal soon. 🙏

    In the meantime, I plan to take advantage of my extra free time at home with crochet and blogging a bit more even though I'd prefer to be climbing. My mantra ..."This too shall pass".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours in the chameleon - and it does look very complicated to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Beth. You persevered and the chameleon looks awesome! I really like the pictures you took as well showing the steps of the color change.
    And, thank you for sharing about your own challenges with your covid19 experience. It's very unusual times at the moment. Keep on hooking Beth, you inspire me 🙏🥰

    ReplyDelete