Wednesday 27 May 2020

Crocheted Willendorf Venus

A friend of mine gave me a copy of a pattern by Trishagurumi to crochet The Willendorf Venus. I had never heard of the Venus of Willendorf, but was fascinated reading about this tiny paleolithic sculpture. Just imagine finding something from so long ago. 

According to Wikipedia:
"The Venus of Willendorf is an 11.1-centimetre-tall (4.4 in) Venus figurine estimated to have been made 30,000 BCE.[1][2] It was found on August 7, 1908, by a workman named Johann Veran[3] or Josef Veram[4] during excavations conducted by archaeologists Josef Szombathy, Hugo Obermaier, and Josef Bayer at a paleolithic site near Willendorf, a village in Lower Austria near the town of Krems.[5][6] It is carved from an oolitic limestone that is not local to the area, and tinted with red ochre. The figurine is now in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna, Austria.[7]"
I planned to crochet my own Willendorf Venus as soon as I finished my chameleon. Who knew it would take so long? If you missed it, you can read about my crocheted chameleon here

I started this Willendorf Venus on Mothers' Day finishing in less than a week. She was a joy to make. I just love how she looks. To me she celebrates fertility and the female form ... a crocheted replica of a stone age sculpture encouraging body positivity. 

Take a look at the photos below to see my Crocheted Willendorf Venus. For comparison, I've also included a photo collage showing the real Venus of Willendorf. Isn't she amazing?
  
Venus of Willendorf - Wikipedia
My Willendorf Venus stands proudly on our mantel next to my gnomes. My growing collection of crochet nudes. ðŸ˜Š

If you'd like to make your own Willendorf Venus, you can find Trisha's free pattern here.

Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below

4 comments:

  1. If they are wearing wool, are they truly nude?

    I love your ability to work in 3-D. I still knit mostly flat items. Crochet stitches elude me.

    Neat that you are working on projects that let you explore other cultures and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question ... up for debate I suppose. Working in the round is easy. It's knitting that eludes me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gnomes have their eyes covered - LOL!

    ReplyDelete