Friday 29 May 2020

Quilted Star Blanket

My Mom's cousin Vickie recently finished this Quilted Star Blanket incorporating a colourful patchwork star made by my Grandma (Vickie's Mimi) many years ago before she lost her sight to macular degeneration

My Grandma loved to quilt before her vision faded. She was very talented and very generous. She made many, many quilts over the years as gifts for her extended family, children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren. 

I loved her quilts especially the colourful patchwork ones and still have a few brightening the look of our double size spare beds.

This patchwork star was gifted to Vickie when Grandma passed because she had inherited my Grandma's passion and talent for quilting. Vickie put it away for a later date. The patchwork star was put away for years, but never forgotten. 

This winter with covid lock down, Vickie decided to spend her time creatively. She dug out this star and made a quilt for me because she knew I would appreciate the connection to my Grandma. And she was right. It is a gift I will treasure forever. 

Feast your eyes on this Quilted Star Blanket. I did my best to capture the beautiful vibrant colours. I can't help but smile every time I look at it. I hope it brightens your day a little too. Enjoy!
 
 
 
I absolutely love what Vickie did with Grandma's patchwork star. The blue background and borders complement it perfectly. Vickie had a friend machine quilt the blanket, but Vickie did the rest including hand sewing the binding ... truly a labour of love. 

This Quilted Star Blanket with its bright bold colour scheme looks amazing in our guest room. Thank you Vickie. I love love love it!!   

Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below  

2 comments:

  1. The quilt is absolutely beautiful and something to treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your Grandma had a fantastic eye for colour. What a wonderful gift for you to treasure.

    ReplyDelete