Tuesday 9 June 2020

Dr. Bobbo Bunny

A few weeks ago a friend was looking at My Free Patterns page and found Bobo Bunny. She messaged me to ask if I could make one for her husband Bob. Their grandchildren affectionately call him Bobbo instead of Opa or Grandpa.

I was excited to revisit this pattern. Bobo Bunny was the first hooded animal pattern I wrote way back in 2015 ...more than five years ago now. Of course I would make a Bobbo Bunny for her. 

With nowhere to go and not much to do these days due to ongoing covid restrictions, I finished this bunny in less than a week. I started with my Bobo Bunny pattern, but decided to change the face, ears and tail to create quite a different looking bunny in the end. 

My friend's husband is a doctor and, given the current covid mask requirements, I thought it would be fun to add a mask. My friend loved it. The mask was a perfect addition for her husband. She suggested I change the name to Dr. Bobbo Bunny, so I did.

Dr. Bobbo Bunny was happy to pose for photos both indoors and out before hopping on over to his new forever home.
For the crocheters out there who might like to make their very own Dr. Bobbo Bunny, I followed my Bobo Bunny pattern exactly for the legs, body, arms, head and hood. 

For the ears and tail, I loosely followed the rabbit ears and tail in Vanessa Mooncie's Crocheted Wild Animals book decreasing the size to fit this bunny. 
Tail - decreased by half. 
Ears - starting chain of 20 and 7 rows instead of 8 
Eyes - stitched using brown yarn

Yarn: 
Mary Maxim Ultra Mellowspun DK 50 gm, 1 3/4 oz
1 ball - Cotton (head, hands, tail, mask)
1 ball - Taupe (body, outer ears, arms)

Unlabeled DK Yarn from stash
light pink (inner ears)
dark brown (eyes)

Hook sizes: 
3.0 mm 
2.5 mm (inner ear)

Mask Instructions:

Stitches:
ch - chain
ss - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
blo - back loop only

Chain 20 (enough to cover width of face)
R1 - 2 ss, 2 sc, 12 hdc, 2 sc, 2 ss, turn
R2 - ch 1, blo (2 ss, 2 sc, 12 hdc, 2 sc, 2 ss) turn
Repeat R2 until mask is big enough to cover face
Chain 30 (to fit around ear), ss down side of mask and across bottom, chain 30 (to fit around other ear), ss across top of mask and finish off, weaving in ends

I plan to make more bunnies or perhaps bears. It might be fun to rework my patterns for 2020 with masks. If you decide to make one too, please do send me a photo. I'd love to see it.

Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below


2 comments: