Tuesday 23 June 2020

Bobo Bear for Beckett

I made a Bobo Bear for Beckett our niece's son who is turning two in two days. Two is still young enough to enjoy a cuddly bear. 

I added a mask to mimic current covid fashion trends. It's not that I'm trying to normalize wearing masks; just hoping to make masks and the people who wear them look less scary to kids.

I finished this Bobo Bear for Beckett while staying at the cottage last week. I wrote all about my week with Mom at Lasting Memories Cottage in my last post here. Spoiler alert: We thoroughly enjoyed our stay 😊

Since Beckett's grandparents own Lasting Memories Cottage, I thought it might be nice to do the photo shoot and leave Bobo Bear there for his Gramma to deliver. 

Happy Birthday to Beckett ... crocheted with love. Sending lots of virtual hugs and kisses from Auntie Beth and Uncle Lee ...actually Great Aunt or Grandaunt and Great Uncle or Granduncle but that sounds like such a mouthful for a two year old. 😕

I just love how Bobo Bear turned out. He looks so cute in aqua wearing a mask. I had fun with this photo shoot at the cottage.
For the crocheters out there who might like to make their very own Bobo Bear, I followed my Bobo Bunny pattern exactly for the legs, body, arms, head and hood. 

For the ears and tail, I followed my Boo Bear pattern reducing the size by a bit to fit this slightly smaller bear. 

Eyes - stitched using brown yarn

Yarn: 
Mary Maxim Ultra Mellowspun DK 50 gm, 1 3/4 oz
1 ball - Cotton (head, hands, mask)
1 ball - Aqua (body, ears, arms, tail)

Unlabeled DK Yarn from stash
dark brown (eyes)

Hook sizes: 
3.0 mm 

Mask Instructions:

Stitches:
ch - chain
ss - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
blo - back loop only

Chain 21 (enough to cover width of face)
R1 - 2 ss, 2 sc, 13 hdc, 2 sc, 2 ss, turn
R2 - ch 1, blo (2 ss, 2 sc, 12 hdc, 2 sc, 2 ss) turn
Repeat R2 until mask is big enough to cover face
Chain 30 (to fit around ear), ss down side of mask and across bottom, chain 30 (to fit around other ear), ss across top of mask and finish off, weaving in ends

I plan to continue reworking my patterns with masks for 2020. If you decide to make one too, please do send me a photo. I'd love to see it.

* * * * *

For the record ... I do not believe masks are effective on their own. I personally rely on physical distancing and frequent hand washing to keep covid safe.

Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below

2 comments:

  1. He is very cute. I don't think there is anything wrong with normalizing wearing masks. It's a part of life these days, just as wearing boots is normal in the winter snow and putting on sunscreen or a covering is normal for a sunny day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! Love the photo shoot! 🐻

    ReplyDelete