Thursday 20 June 2019

Our Father's Day

This year for Fathers' Day we celebrated with my husband's parents on Saturday starting with a delicious brunch at The Root Cellar
Afterwards, we took them to visit a few of our favourite local shops: The Bakers Dozen (B13)Wisdom Cafe and Tea ShopLondon Clay Art Centre Store and The Western Fair MarketIt was fun showing them where we like to go, who we like to see and what we like to do on a Saturday.

We also introduced them to Richard Thompson an artist at B13 where we had arranged to pick up another of his paintings. We love his work. The rich colours and fine details appeal to us. We especially love the message behind his most recent piece pictured below.

"Live like you are going to die tomorrow. Learn like you are going to live forever." An appropriate message supporting lifelong learning from a retired high school teacher and talented artist.
To celebrate Fathers' Day on Sunday, after a relaxing morning filled with crochet (me) and car detailing (my husband), we headed to Stratford to visit my Mom. She had been staying in Stratford for the past week or so to help out a friend who had knee replacement surgery.

We thought it would be nice to visit my Dad's family gravestone at Avondale Cemetery. Mom had arranged to have it cleaned and engraved adding Dad's and his brothers' names and dates on the back of the stone. 

The work had been done in the spring, but we had not yet made the trip to Stratford to see it. Father's Day seemed a good time to go. 

My husband took a photo of both the front and the back. I liked seeing my Dad commemorated along with his brothers on their family gravestone. 

Afterwards, we headed downtown to Balzac's for coffee/tea and a treat before finishing up with a stroll along the main street stopping in briefly at some of the more interesting shops. 
I wrote this obituary (names omitted) for my Dad over a year ago now.

"My Dad passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by his loving family on Friday, April 6th, 2018 in his 75th year. Dearly loved husband and father. Proud Grandpa and Great Grandpa (GG). Predeceased by his two younger brothers. He was born in Stratford, Ontario on April 10th, 1945, oldest son of the late William and Jean. My Dad was a generous and hardworking man. He will always be remembered for his love of family, friends and his great sense of humour. He cherished his immense circle of friends and remained connected to them from as far back as his childhood."

When Dad was dying, Mom and I sat by his side holding his hands. We told him he didn't have to worry, that we would be fine. He didn't have to hold on for us. At the very end, I asked him to send us messages through birds and butterflies just to let us know he was OK. He died knowing he was loved and would be greatly missed. 

This summer, our son is in Kenora fighting wildfires. On Fathers' Day he had been out chopping wood when he captured two things on video: a bald eagle in flight and butterflies with one stepping onto his hand. He shared the videos with us and my Mom that evening. 

I didn't really think anything of it until Mom reminded me of my final request to Dad. That memory brought happy tears to both of us. 

Thanks Dad for sending these messages through your Grandson. You are always in our hearts and never forgotten.
I love this poem written by Barb Hacking given to my Mom in a card after Dad passed ... such a beautiful message of hope.
Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just came across your blog. I am Barb Hacking, the author of “The Butterfly’s Promise”. It was delightful to hear about your special visits. The Tiger Swallowtail butterflies in your video are the same type of butterfly that came to me after my dear Mom passed away. I am happy that my poem found its way to you. Have a wonderful summer! Wishing you more butterfly blessings. Barb
    Author of “When a Butterfly Speaks...Whispered Life Lessons” and “When a Butterfly Speaks 2...Celebrating the Return of the Silent Messengers”. Stratford, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness ... I am thrilled to see your comment here. Thank you for your poem and butterfly blessings. I wish you a wonderful summer as well. Beth

      Delete