Monday 2 January 2023

Crochet Granny Sweater

In March of 2021 a year into COVID with ongoing travel restrictions and gym closures, I was looking for a new crochet challenge. I love crochet toys, blankets, mandalas and such but had never considered crocheting sweaters. 

I had a box of granny squares sitting in my craft closet from an unfinished afghan. It was a kit I bought way back in 2012. I remember crocheting all those colourful squares. It was fun. I loved crocheting granny squares. I even loved laying out those squares on our dining room table arranging and rearranging until I was happy with the overall look. I was excited to be nearing the end of my afghan journey. All was going well until I left it out overnight and our cat puked all over those lovely squares. Ugh!!

I had to wash a bunch of those squares then pack up the rest to host a family dinner. It wasn't the worst but for some reason, even years later I still didn't feel the urge to make that afghan. 

I looked at that box of crochet squares and decided to challenge myself to make a Crochet Granny Sweater. Challenge accepted!!

Without a pattern, I joined the squares approximating the shape of a sweater. At first it was too wide so I removed an extra row of squares down both sides. To make it fit I added a few rows of double crochet down the sides and under the arms. Amazingly it worked out well enough to wear in public. 
I wore it to work. I love that my boss bought me a matching cupcake to applaud my efforts. He was so generous and fun.
Of course I also made a matching sweater for our sweet Sadie.
For the crocheters out there, the pattern for the squares is from Crochet Bumble Berry Pie Afghan by Michael Sellick from The Crochet Crowd. For the record, I selected a different colourway called Calypso but the yarn has since been discontinued.

Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below

2 comments: