Saturday 17 January 2015

Sweet Summer Ripple Doll Blanket

In September I crocheted my first "Sweet Summer Ripple Blanket" named for the soft summery colours selected for our sweet granddaughter. This week I finally got around to making a matching doll blanket from leftover yarn. I love how it looks so teeny tiny and cute.
If you look closely, you can see I used a ripple made of 10 stitches instead of the standard 14 stitch repeat. I also switched colours every row instead of every other row working all the rows in the same direction. There is clearly a right and a wrong side with this blanket.
With so many colour changes I made good use of my yarn needles, yarn threader and scissors. With DK weight yarn, I used a 4 mm crochet hook.
A small bowl full of yarn ends. I counted 34 stripes with a 3 row border for a total of 74 yarn ends so lots of weaving in for this little blanket.
I still have yarn left but will find a use for it. No yarn wasted here.
I had fun taking photos this morning. See how much smaller my Sweet Summer Ripple is beside my Cosmic Rays Ripple Doll Blanket. It's mostly due to the difference in yarn weight and hook size. My Cosmic Rays Ripple Blanket was made using worsted weight yarn and a 5 mm hook. 

 
Miss Violet enjoys laying on ripples dreaming of summer and picnics in the park. Bunny likes to snuggle under ripples for a much needed nap.
Miss Violet admires both ripple doll blankets folded and piled together. Any doll would be happy to have such cozy and colourful blankets.
In case you would like to make one too, I've included instructions on how to make this Sweet Summer Ripple Doll Blanket.

PDF Version

Stitches Used:
ch (chain)
dc (double crochet)
dc2tog (double crochet 2 together)
sc (single crochet)

Starting Chain 53 (5 x 10 + 3)

Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook, *dc in next 2 ch, dc2tog 2 times, dc in next 2 ch, 2 dc in next 2 dc**, repeat * to ** across ending with 2 dc in top of last dc, finish off leaving a long tail to weave in

Same as crochet ripple pattern described here but reduce by 2 dc on either side of the 'valley' and the 'bump' to get a 10 stitch repeat instead of 14

Change colour every row, work right to left (for right-handed crocheters)

Border - 3 rounds (follow instructions found here by blogger Lucy at Attic24)

Finished size - 13.5" x 16.5"
34 stripes randomly selected colours
10 colours (left over from Sweet Summer Ripple Blanket)


Yarn Used (10 colours):
  1. Bernat Softee Baby - Soft Peach
  2. Bernat Softee Baby - White
  3. Bernat Softee Baby - Antique White
  4. Bernat Softee Baby - Flannel
  5. Bernat Softee Baby - Aqua
  6. Bernat Softee Baby - Pale Blue
  7. Patons Beehive Baby Sport - Violet Mist
  8. Patons Beehive Baby Sport - Spring Clover
  9. Patons Beehive Baby Sport - Rose Bud
  10. Baby Marble - Shade (blues, pinks, purples)


Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below



3 comments: