Wednesday 12 September 2018

Three Bear Hats

Our daughter and granddaughter stopped to admire hand-made hats on Pearl Street in Boulder. When our daughter mentioned Grammeo could make hats like that, our granddaughter asked for a bear hat. One without ear flaps. She is totally into bears these days.

They sent a photo for reference. Like this, but without the bee please.
I started our granddaughter's bear hat one week before our trip to Boulder. The first one was too big. I could tell because it fit me. The second one looked about right. I couldn't be sure because our daughter forgot to send measurements. Since these hats worked up quickly, I did one more in a smaller size for our littlest grandson making Three Bear Hats in total. A perfect surprise for our granddaughter and daughter.
 
 
 
 
 
These Three Bear Hats were a big hit with our granddaughter. She enjoyed donning her hat pretending to be a bear. Our youngest grandson tolerated his hat for short periods. The largest hat fit our daughter perfectly. I can just picture the three of them dressed as bears on cold winter days walking to school to pick up our oldest grandson ... so sweet.

To make these hats, I used worsted weight acrylic yarn in brown, off-white and black with a 5.0 mm hook. For the base of the hat I followed this panda hat pattern at Repeat Crafter Me making three sizes: child, toddler/preschooler and 9-12 months. I made the ears from my Buster Bear pattern. The muzzle is a simple circle worked using half double crochet. The nose is an elongated circle in single crochet. I added button eyes and embroidered the face using the long tail from the nose. Hats like these are an easy project sure to impress the little ones in your life.


Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below

4 comments:

  1. I think they were so cute I was hoping to see a picture of the three of them together wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps when it's cold they'll wear their hats and take a photo.

      Delete