I was thrilled to hear our daughter is expecting a baby due August 17th. After a miscarriage in October plus facing challenges with this pregnancy, she waited longer than usual to make the announcement.
Our daughter was encouraged by the appearance of a beautiful iridescent rainbow cloud on the day she announced she was expecting her 'rainbow baby'. She took it as a good omen.
I immediately started to think about what sort of blanket I could make for this baby. I thought this little one should have something extra special.
When she sent me this photo of her iridescent rainbow cloud, I decided to incorporate the colours into my design. I chose yarn to mirror the colours in the clouds: aqua, light fern, lilac, soft red, vintage lace, and baby grey.Our daughter likes neutral greys and whites. I love colour. This blanket is a compromise. The base is neutral soft grey incorporating a colourful stripe spaced every 6" plus a colourful rainbow-striped border.
I love the finished look. A special Granny Stripe Rainbow Cloud Blanket for a special new addition to our family.
To make this blanket, I followed free instructions for a Granny Stripe Blanket posted by blogger Lucy at Attic24. I love Lucy's colourful crochet blankets. Her brilliant colour combinations continue to inspire me.
For this blanket, I wanted to make a granny stripe with a different sort of look. Instead of changing colours every second row, I worked 15 rows in grey with one row in colour; essentially creating grey bands separated by pops of colour.
I designed the border to represent a cloud surrounded by rainbow stripes.
- For Round 1 (use Vintage Lace yarn), I followed Lucy's instructions for her border base on her Granny Stripe Blanket.
- Round 2 (use Soft Red yarn) - single crochet back loop only (sc-blo) around, 3 sc-blo in each corner space, finish off and weave in ends
- Round 3 (use Lilac yarn) - sc-blo around, 3 sc-blo in each corner stitch (2nd of 3 sc-blo in each corner space from R2), finish off and weave in ends
- Round 4 (use Soft Fern yarn) - repeat R3
- Round 5 (use Aqua yarn) - repeat R3
Starting Chain - 163
Finished Size - 44"x62" (large crib blanket)
Border - 5 rounds
Time to Complete - Approximately 30 hours (10 mins per row + border)
Hook size - 4 mm
Yarn Used (Light #3 weight):
- Patons Beehive Baby Sport (100 g/3.5 oz)
- Baby Grey (7 balls)
- Vintage Lace (1 ball)
- Bernat Softee Baby (140 g/5 oz)
- Soft Fern (1 ball)
- Aqua (1 ball)
- Soft Red (1 ball)
- Red Heart Baby Hugs (127 g/4.5 oz)
- Lilac (1 ball)
Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below