Tuesday 20 December 2022

Brown Family Treasure

When I was a young child, I lived with my grandparents Norman and Marian Brown on their farm near Petrolia. I remember they had an old style wooden telephone hanging on the wall painted to match their kitchen. My cousin Trudy remembers removing layers of paint restoring the phone to its original wooden finish. It's a novelty antique dΓ©cor piece in her home. 

My parents acquired the same style phone from a neighbour for their basement family room in Lucan. I remember it suited their barnboard and brick walls (barnboards and bricks from my grandparents' farm). I rediscovered this phone when my Mom was clearing her basement shelves in London a few years ago. 

I love all things "old" especially with happy memories attached. Tony Callaghan a local artist with a booth at the Western Fair Market called "Sidhe Ring" transformed my Uncle Bill's old high chair to tell the Tale of Thomas Orphan. I asked if he could do something similar with this old wooden telephone to commemorate the Brown family name. 

I provided basic information to Tony mentioning my grandparents' farming background plus my love of owls and whimsical faeries. I love what he did with this telephone and ringer box. 
Tony painted the following words on the outside ledge:

BROWN
"Earthy stock, of the land, farmer and family people from over the pond came and in their luggage and trappings the wee folk Browneys: House and hearth fey, polish, scrub, clean and douse to keep a building beautiful and helping full."
Tony painted the words below on the inside of the phone which hinges open to reveal little hidden drawers and shelves to store tiny treasures and oracle cards.
* * *
"this comunicator crosses oceans, universes, realms long forgotten. It is tied to ancestors and kin folk. When times are hard lift the ear talker ask the questions of those across the land of mystery and close your eyes. They will reply with common sense. Take a card from the faery oracle it will aid deciphering messages. The tawney brown owl is the sigil of the BROWN FAMILY."
This Brown Family Treasure has been hanging in our front hallway for a couple years now. I love everything about it!

Be the first to comment - click on No Comments: below

1 comment: